Saturday, January 29, 2011

Object Description

The object I am presenting is a carefully designed box of lavender fragrance candle. It weighs 290g, 10.2 Oz and with a dimension of 11cm (h) X 9.3cm (w) X 9.3 (b). The box is made up of thick card-board paper wrapped around with royal purple paper inside and purple paper outside. There is a white label at the front that says, “LAVENDER FRAGRANCE FONT” with the font style of Lucia Bright and small cursive words that mark “Fine Fragranced Luxury Candles”. On the other side of the box, there is small reminder of warnings in use and directions to use the candle. An elegant royal purple sketching of lavender is also designed all around the box.

It is probably produced in a factory with a fine line of production that is hands- free of men labour, a.k.a. , computer- driven. It is made in California, USA and claims to burn for 100+ hours. It states it is exclusively produced for Asquith & Somerset, BS39 5QQ, England. The date of production is not printed on the box. Neither do I know how much the production cost and selling price are because it is a gift from my friend in London.

In Christianity, candles can be used for decoration and ambience, as a symbol to represent the light of God as well. Other religions like Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism use candles for ceremonial and celebrative reasons too. My friend first intended to buy this for me to use it during meditation of the Bible as well as a fancy decoration for my room. The purpose of candle in Christianity that has existed long time ago is translated into the purpose of my candle now and today.

In terms of a transnational experience, this calls the candle into new relations of exchange through space. It has travelled all the way from California, U.S.A to London, England and then to Hong Kong where Vivian gave it to me the past Christmas. The object has flown through space to satisfy different desires, from retailing to offering a sentimental value to myself.

Because it is a gift given by one of my best friends, this object has been attached with a deep sentimental value. Vivian said she got this present for me from a bookstore on an ordinary day in London after jogging. She instantly thought of me when she saw this because she knows I am a big fan of purple and lavender scent. The story of how she thought of me without the prior intention of buying a Christmas gift but ended up getting one is particularly smoothing and refreshing. The object has been personalized after hearing the story because the candle is unlike any other kind of candle but one that can light up many memorable but subtle thoughts of Vivian who is miles away in another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment